Sunday, February 23, 2020

How to Lead Like Jesus

Mark 8:27-9:8

Do you ever find yourself identifying with Peter? I sure do. In these few verses, he goes from showing a deep understanding of who Jesus is ("You are the Christ" in verse 29) to being rebuked by Jesus for his lack of understanding ("Get behind me, Satan! You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men" in verse 33).

And in the next chapter, he is overwhelmed by Jesus' transfiguration and he inappropriately suggests that the disciples ought to build shelters for Elijah, Moses and Jesus (9:5) - again, he is missing the point of what Jesus wants them to see.

I take heart in Peter's mistakes, because I make them every day. I want to follow Jesus - I long to be salt and light in a world that desperately needs his love and forgiveness. But I often find myself thinking, just as Peter did, that I have better ideas than Jesus does.....

Jesus tells us that the life he offers us is not the same as the way the world works:

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?  Mark 8:34-36

How did Jesus lead? He washed his disciples' feet. He broke bread with sinners - prostitutes, tax collectors, crippled, poor people. He cared about the outcasts, the losers, the refugees. And he asks us to do the same - to take up his cross and follow him.

Jesus built his church on Peter, who was a sinner just like you and me. He takes us where we are, and he gives us grace, mercy and power to show justice and kindness to our neighbor.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

April 18 - What Does Joy Look Like?

Read: Luke 24:50-53 What does joy look like in your life?   When I first started dating my husband, I was like a scared little ...