Saturday, February 29, 2020

Child's Play

Mark 10:13-16

Some of my favorite words are, “Grandma, will you come play with me?” Some of my favorite memories are from times we spent “playing” together. Memories flood my mind from time with my grandson, my own children, my family, my friends, and my own childhood.

What I learn from my grandson and my many memories of playing is this:

Play has no agenda. 
It does not follow a “to-do-list.”  
It does not come from a place of “have to” but a place of “want to.” 
When we play, we lose all sense of self-consciousness and worry about what others might think. 
We lose all sense of time, and we don’t want that time to end! 

Perhaps that was why the disciples were hindering the children from being with Jesus.  They saw them as “less than” because their presence with Jesus didn’t serve any “useful purpose” or advance their agenda.  The children were an unnecessary interruption and distraction from what was “really important” in the eyes of the disciples. 

Yet Jesus tells the disciple to STOP HINDERING the little children from coming to Him! 

He says the Kingdom of God belongs to those like them!!

How is God calling me to spend time with Him with no agenda, no “to-do” or “want” list?

How can I come to Him with my heart of “I want to” instead of “I have to?”

How can I engage in “playing” in God’s plan so that I lose all self-consciousness and worry about what other people think?”

How often do I “lose all sense of time” in His presence and experience playing with Him so much that I wish it wouldn’t end?

How is He is calling me to openly embrace others and see them as “valuable” even though don’t meet my expectations or fit my agenda?  

Does that make you uncomfortable?  Good, because it made the disciples uncomfortable too. 

“I can see Your heart
Eight billion different ways
Every precious one
A child You died to save
If You gave Your life to love them so will I!
Like You would again a hundred billion times
But what measure could amount to Your desire
You're the One who never leaves the one behind!”

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for seeing all of us as Your beloved Children, accepted and valued, those whom you embrace warmly.  Help me to see all people as Your children, not as an interruption or distraction.  I can see Your heart, lead my heart to love as You do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

April 18 - What Does Joy Look Like?

Read: Luke 24:50-53 What does joy look like in your life?   When I first started dating my husband, I was like a scared little ...