Monday, March 9, 2020

March 10 - Heaven's Currency

Matthew 7:19-24 

Nancy Drew mysteries caught my interest at age 10. The field across the street from my house was a great place to bury a treasure. Shadowing my heroine, I waited until dusk so no one could see me digging a place to bury a small box of old jewelry. I returned a couple of days later to ensure my treasure box was safe. Oh no - it was gone! The trouble with storing up treasures on earth is that they are temporary. Jewelry, houses, land can be easily destroyed by theft, fire, flood, and economic downturn - quickly gone!

Jesus warned of accumulating material wealth that subtly takes over our thoughts and affections, becoming our god. He said, “Where your treasure is there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21) The wealth of earth doesn’t convert to the currency of heaven; the value is determined by the heavenly exchange rate.

As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.” (Luke 21: 1-4)

Jesus put the key to heaven’s treasure chest into our hands. It’s free to all who believe, all who will inherit eternal life. “All that the Father has is mine.” (John 16:15)

“I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold, I'd rather be his than have riches untold, I'd rather have Jesus than houses or land, I'd rather be led by his nail-pierced hands.” (George Beverly Shea)

by Diane Ward


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

April 18 - What Does Joy Look Like?

Read: Luke 24:50-53 What does joy look like in your life?   When I first started dating my husband, I was like a scared little ...