Thursday, March 5, 2020

March 5 - Mountains in Motion

Mark 11:20-25

We're back to that cursed fig tree. Several weeks ago, we read the passage about how Jesus cursed the fig tree, and I questioned why he did such a seemingly random and pointless act. But upon further thought, I reflected that Jesus was demonstrating to us not only that faith could move mountains, like he said, but also that there are things in our lives that seem good and life-giving, but actually bear no fruit. And I challenged you to think about the fig trees in your life, and also the mountains that could be moved through faith.

Now we're back at the fig tree, just like the apostles. And they are amazed at Jesus' power. And Jesus tells them not to doubt their faith. He says it twice here:

1. "If anyone says to this mountain, "Go throw yourself into the sea," and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them." (23)

2. "Whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (24)

This is the kind of passage that can become dangerous. Yes, we know that God is not a vending machine who just gives us whatever material thing we ask for. But here's where the line of God's will gets fuzzy for me. How do I know if what I'm asking for is in God's will? Will he give it to me if it's not? Should I even want it if it's not?

There are so many things about God that are a mystery, and his will is one of them. But I think this passage is clear on one thing: have faith that God answers prayers. When you pray, don't pray expecting God not to answer you. Pray with your mind open to what God has for you. And have faith that he can move whatever mountain might be in your path. Because he can. And he just very well might.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

April 18 - What Does Joy Look Like?

Read: Luke 24:50-53 What does joy look like in your life?   When I first started dating my husband, I was like a scared little ...